10/27/2018 1 Comment
Living Like the "Golden Girls"
THE GOLDEN GIRLS TAKE THE CAKE ON HEALTHY AGING!
Remember that terrific sitcom, The Golden Girls, where four senior women came together to live under one roof? Initially, it may have sounded like a crazy idea right? But with open minds and great personality matches, the concept allowed them to save money, share in companionship and have a homey place in which to belong. The arrangement kept them sharp and on their toes, taking on many adventures they may not have engaged in had they lived alone! This award-winning, 7-season comedy scored big with their audience, but the concept takes the cake locking in on the 5 pillars of healthy aging. Let’s take a look at those 5 pillars.
1) Maintain a Social Circle: Studies show that our relationships with those we know and care about are critical to our aging process. Having face to face conversations and interactions with only one other person on a regular basis reduces the risk of depression. In those over age 70, by almost as much as 50%!* So, like the Golden Girls, take on a roommate, stay connected, join a club, and reach out. You’ll be happy you did. (*psychologytoday.com)
2) Challenge Your Mind: Sharing ideas, offering opinions, breaking routine, learning something new, volunteering are all healthy stimuli to help our brains grow. Don’t live in the past, it offers no ‘new’ roads on which to learn. Believe me, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!
3) Get Regular Exercise: Proven to fuel our brains with blood and oxygen, reduce stress and lower the risk of dementia, exercise should be a part of your daily schedule.* Pair up with a walk buddy, do some gardening, or slip into a swimming pool for an ‘all-over’ good feeling. Remember those Golden Girls, they loved to dance… (*participaction.ca)
4) Have a Healthy Diet: The show offered many scenes in the common kitchen, with a fun focus on food and conversation! A good diet promotes good cells throughout our arteries, body, and brain. Eating healthy can help reduce the risks of stroke, dementia, diabetes, heart disease and much more!* Why not share a good meal with a friend(s) for a double dose of healthy living! (*NHS Eatwell Guide)
5) Sleep Well: Environment and sleep go hand-in-hand and your bedroom should bring you peace. Aging plays with our ability to reach the deeper sleep patterns of younger years. Yet sleep is essential for our bodies and our brains. At night, our brain strengthens our memories and learning from the previous day; it can also lower our stress levels and sharpen our thinking for the day ahead. So, stick to a bedtime routine, avoid day naps, and keep your room clear of clutter and excess noise to set you up for a terrific tomorrow!
When it comes to the 5 pillars of healthy aging…social, mental, physical, diet and environment…those fun loving Golden Gals sure got it right!
Are You Ready for Retirement Living?
People consider retirement living for all sorts of reasons, from lifestyle preferences to health and peace of mind. Ask yourself these following questions to see if you’re ready for retirement living:
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it might be time to start considering the many benefits of independent Senior House Share options.
Welcome....and thank you for checking into our ALL THINGS SENIOR blog.
Our intention here is to provide you with some interesting facts, articles, services etc that you, as a super senior, may find of use in some small way. Take what you want or leave it.... But hopefully, you'll learn something you didn't already know.
We will endeavour to keep a weekly turnover of new info or stories....
If you want to see something specific, please feel free to submit suggestions or requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
See you soon.......
Regards, Kristy Jenkins
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.
Site powered by Weebly. Managed by Web Hosting Canada